week 5: animal encounters | tourist in home town
duration: 2 hours
This week, we are getting up close and personal with farm animals. We will watch and interact with them, learn about their habitats, what they eat, how they feel (and smell...) and what noises they make. We are going to visit a petting zoo.
Here is your template for this week's challenge:
1. pick your favourite petting farm
Just head out to your favourite petting zoo near you, or do a quick Google search to find one. Make sure you all wear outdoor clothes and wellies, so you don't have to worry when hungry goats try to nibble your coats. Most farms are free and provide enough entertainment for an educational morning or afternoon.
2. START THIS WEEK'S CHALLENGE:
Animal encounters | Petting zoo
After arrival at the petting zoo, let the kids take charge and lead the way. Chat to the staff, tending to the animals. They are usually more than happy to talk about their work and often could use a helping hand.
- If available, make use of the opportunity to feed the animals yourself.
- Make a point of reading any signs for a quick educational moment. That way I only recently learned how eggs are classified as battery, free range and organic eggs. Even for us adults there is always something to learn!
- Some farms have special kids activities, like animal feedings or a treasure hunt. Always worthwhile to check at the reception.
3. Share your results
Kids and animals make great close ups. Share some of your animal encounters with our community on facebook!
week 5: animal encounters - results
Check back next week to see how we did!
join me for next week's challenge:
Would you like to be reminded once the next challenge is posted? Just enter your details below and I'll send you a message on Monday, along with occasional tips for unplugged family time.
No spam. Privacy guaranteed. Opt out anytime.